Department of Parks & Gardens
The department, established in 1988, is responsible for the development of nation’s landscape and the preservation and beautification of the environment.
The functions are:
- To promote landscape beautification of built and natural environment and collaborate with MMDAs to develop programmes for floral beautification of cities and towns.
- To acquire lands to establish public parks and promote ecotourism to generate revenue for Assemblies and jobs for the youth.
- Pursue actions to combat the effects of global warming by promoting a national tree planting campaign involving all stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the Botany Department of the University of Ghana and other stakeholders to document the country's flora, to develop and maintain a national information facility for sharing digital biodiversity data,
- Initiate programmes to identify threatened economic and ornamental plants for multiplication and conservation. In addition, the department will promote public education on their conservation and importance of plants for human survival.
- Concentrate on the conservation of threatened plants and restoration of plants diversity as well as communicating its importance under the Global strategy for plants conservation programme
Climate Chance Summit - Africa, 2019
Sept. 30, 2019