Governance and Legal Reform
The directorate is responsible for the following;
- Proposes decentralization policy reforms
- Converts approved decentralization policy reforms into draft legislation where appropriate for the consideration of the Ministry of Justice and Attorney-General’s Department
- Examines policies and legislations proposed by MDAs for its relevance with the Decentralisation Policy Framework, National Decentralisation Action Plan and other necessary Decentralisation documents.
- Sensitises relevant stakeholders on the policy and implementation implications of new policies, legislations and programmes in Ghana’s local governance and decentralisation programmes.
- Conducts inspection for the various policy, projects and programmes being implemented by MMDAs.
The Directorate comprise of the following units;
- Inspectorate :- The Unit performs the following;
- Conducts inspection of the various policy, projects and programmes being implemented by MMDAs.
- Local Assessment:- The unit also performs the following:
- Coordinates and facilitates the performance assessment of MMDCE’s
- Keeps records of the appointment, transfers and dismissal of MMDCE’s
- Facilitates the settlement of disputes related to the management of the Assemblies.
- Initiates the Demarcation of boundaries for MMDA’s in collaboration with other relevant stakeholders
- Develops guidelines and mechanisms for promoting public participation and accountability in the decentralized local government system.
- Develops guidelines and standards of rating for adoption by the MMDAs
- Coordinates inter district and inter regional relations
- Reforms:- The unit:
- Provides legal counsel and technical support services by ensuring legal interpretations and inputs into the formulation of policies and other international protocols, conventions and treaties.
- Formulates and designs programmes and initiates legislations to accelerate and deepen decentralization within the local government system.
Climate Chance Summit - Africa, 2019
Sept. 30, 2019